This is a repost of a Fooman blog. You can view the actual article here
It's hard to believe that Magento 2 turned one this month. In the developer community we're finally starting to get a solid understanding of the quirks, opportunities and stability of the platform.
I've spent most of this year re-writing Fooman Magento 1 extensions from the ground up. Learning the ins and outs of M2 has been a real labour of love. But these development hours have taught me a lot that I want to share with the #realmagento community in our new email series.
Fooman's new Developer Monthly will hit your inbox with:
- Our take on what's happening in the world of Magento
- Tips & tricks: what we're learning
- Developer Q&A: sharing what our users are learning about Magento 2
Hope you find it useful. Send a quick reply to let me know what you think.
What two years developing Magento 2 extensions has taught me
Whether you write custom modules for individual clients or are aiming for the Magento Marketplace - M2 extension development is a whole new game. I've learned a heck of a lot rebuilding Fooman's M1 extensions from the ground up to be M2 compatible, and share six ways you can write better M2 extensions. Read more.
Being a Magento extrovert is challenging
Rebecca Troth shares a great read about overcoming fears to get involved in the #realmagento community. I suspect a lot of us can relate to this. Read more.
Magento 2: UI Components
UI Components are probably the most under-documented new feature in M2, but are a powerful feature we all will need to learn how to use. What I am currently hearing from Magento is that there will be even more UI Components coming to Magento 2. Alan Storm has started an excellent series digging into UI Components with this post.
TIP OF THE MONTH
You can run Magento 2 in three different modes: default, developer and production. Magento 2 allows you to define which mode to run via a server variable (MAGE_MODE).
My advice: don't bother setting MAGE_MODE on the server environment level unless you are absolutely sure you'll never need to change the mode. Find out what to do instead.
WHAT'S M2 READY?
So far you can download 4 free Magento 2 extensions:
- Google Analytics Plus - additional features for default Google Analytics
- Email Attachments - automatically attach pdf's to sales emails
- Print Order Pdf - create a new "Order Confirmation" pdf for easy order management
- Same Order Invoice Number - use the order number as the invoice, shipment and credit memo number
The following paid extensions are also available on M2:
- Pdf Customiser and Pdf Picking List
- Order Manager
- Order Number Customiser
- Fooman Connect: Xero - Xero accounting integration
Stay tuned for new releases (including Fooman Surcharge, which is right around the corner).