Most of the content writers desperately try to crack Google’s algorithm. And they tend to forget a simple truth: “Google only loves you when everyone else loves you first.”
As a content creator, you should have a solid understanding of what factors influence your website’s ranking. But you should focus your efforts on adding value to your target audience, rather than creating texts for web crawlers.
Let’s dive into the topic and find out what really matters when it comes to SEO writing. And let’s consider steps you should take to drive organic traffic to your website.
- Quality of content is more important than its quantity
- Thorough keywords research is a must
- Users don’t like reading large blocks of text
- Low readability affects SEO ranking
- Poor grammar may ruin your content marketing efforts
- Textual content works better with visuals
- Long posts have more chances to get to the top of Google search results
- Trending topics attracts more links and targeted traffic
First thing first, if you want to increase organic traffic, you should create high-quality content. Every article you write should be informative, relevant, and interesting to read.
It goes without saying that all content must be unique. You should never publish plagiarized content on your website. Google will penalize you, and your website will never get to the top of search results.
If you want to implement your content marketing strategy successfully, you should put your time and money into content creation. You can hire an in-house content creator, or you use one of the following services:
- Upwork. It’s an international freelance platform where you can find experts in SEO and copywriting.
- WritingJudge. It’s a writing website, where you can order articles, blog posts, and other customized content.
- PeoplePerHour. It’s another freelance platform where you can find professional SEO writers for one-time projects.
If you want to create SEO-friendly content, you should clearly understand what keywords to use. You should perform thorough keyword research to find low competition high traffic keywords for your niche.
Today, there are plenty of tools that you can use to discover keywords related to your topic. Most of these tools are user-friendly, so you don’t need to be an expert in SEO to understand how they work.
Google Keyword Planner
You can start your research from using Google Keyword Planner. This tool will help you to find out how often users search for the keywords relevant to your business and how competitive these keywords are.
If you run a global company, you can customize your search and check what keywords are more popular in this or that region. Also, if most of your customers speak languages other than English, you can choose the necessary language from the list to perform in-depth research.
You can continue your keyword research using Ubersuggest. This tool has a great intuitive interface, so you will learn how to use it literally in a few minutes.
All you need to do is to type the focus keyword in the search bar and click the button. You will get a comprehensive keyword overview that will help you to choose the right keyword to drive organic traffic to your website. Also, you can use Ubersuggest to discover new keyword ideas and fresh content ideas.
It’s important not only to write a great article but also make it look attractive to visitors. Your article must be scannable. You should use subheadings to break up large blocks of text and use bold font to highlight the most important details.
Also, try to keep your paragraphs short and use bullet or numbered lists where possible. It will help you to engage your readers and improve your site’s ranking.
Do you write interesting articles, but no one wants to read them? Well, maybe you have forgotten one important thing. When you write for the web, you should make your texts as simple as possible. All your content must be not only interesting but also easy to read.
Look through your latest post and answer the question: is it accessible for a high schooler? If the answer is no, you should edit the text to improve its readability:
- Avoid the use of the passive voice whenever possible, e.g., write “Helen ate an apple” instead of “Apple was eaten by Helen”.
- Keep your sentences shorter than 20 words. Write one short sentence instead of a long one.
- Avoid using a lot of acronyms, abbreviations, slang, or technical terms. Define any rarely-used words that you can’t avoid.
- Do not overuse adverbs.
- Choose simpler alternatives, e.g., use the word “regularly” instead of the phrase “on a regular basis.”
Since it’s so important to keep readability score on a high level, experts recommend using such services as Readable and Hemingway App to check your texts automatically.
Bad grammar not only scares your prospective customers away but also negatively affects the ranking of your website. So if you write with mistakes, you should take the process of editing and proofreading seriously.
Keep in mind that search engine bots scan your content thoroughly and spot every typo and spelling error made. And if your texts are full of mistakes, Google may penalize your website for poor content quality.
If you want to make sure that your content is perfect in terms of grammar, you can use one of the following tools:
- Grammarly. It’s one of the most popular grammar checkers that you can find online. Grammarly is available as a browser extension, web app, and plugin for MS Word.
- Studicus. If you want to get professional assistance from proofreaders and editors, use this online service. Place an urgent order and get your copies proofread within six hours.
- Scribens. If you are looking for free English grammar checker, this tool is right for you. Use it to detect the common mistakes and to improve the quality of your content.
Most internet users are visual learners. So content marketing experts highly recommend using images, videos, GIF animations, infographics, charts, and screenshots to enhance your blog posts’ engagement.
The point is that visuals help to grab and retain the users’ attention. Once visitors notice infographics or video, they decide to stay on the page for longer.
So if you are looking for a way to reduce bounce rate and increase time on page, try to add more visuals to your website. To achieve the best results, do the following:
- Optimize file name for SEO. Use relevant keywords to describe the image or video you use. It’s simple: if your photo shows heart-shaped balloons and the sky, the file name shouldn’t be DSC9874.jpg, but helium-heart-shaped-balloons-in-sky.jpg.
- Reduce file size. Large images and videos may slow down your site and increase bounce rate. To keep loading speed high, reduce the file size of images by removing the EXIF data. Compress media files using such tools as TinyPNG and ImageOptim.
Five years ago, the length of a typical blog post was around 808 words. In 2019, the length of a blog post is about 1151 words.
The point is that modern users are looking for in-depth explanations of the issues they’re experiencing. They want to get answers on all their questions regarding the topic.
Developers of Google’s algorithm always take preferences of the users into account. For this reason, they have changed the SEO requirements. And now longer articles have higher chances to rank at the top of Google search results page.
For this reason, you should write more detailed, meaningful posts. You should discuss every aspect of the topic in details and give the audience a tangible takeaway. When writing a conclusion, invite your readers to complete the following action: write a comment, share the post on social media, apply the tips given, etc.
If you want to double the conversions rate and boost traffic, you should write on trending topics. You should provide your readers with the information that they want to get right here and right now.
Use content analyzer tools such as BuzzSumo to find out what posts are currently trending online. Try to understand why these very posts have driven such high engagement.
Marie Fincher, the head of content at BestEssayEducation and TrustMyPaper, recommends: “Keep up with the latest trends and try to create content that will more likely go viral. Take a chance to gain more high-quality backlinks and improve your website’s ranking.”
Whether you are a newbie or an expert in SEO writing, don’t hesitate to follow the recommendations given. It will help you to boost traffic, reduce bounce rate, increase time on page, and, as a consequence, improve the SEO ranking of your website.
And keep in mind that SEO requirements, as well as users’ preferences, are changing over time. So you should revise your strategy at least every three months. Do your best to keep up with the SEO trends, and you will always be one step ahead of the competition.
BIO: Diana Adjadj nourishes, sparks, and empowers using the magic of a word. She works as SEO writer at WowGrade and GrabMyEssay. What inspires her the most is English classics books and the support she gets from the others.